Thursday, February 14, 2008

Ice storm

Yesterday was a miserable day in terms of weather. The snow started at around 8:00AM and came fast. By lunchtime, we had nearly 6 inches and the roads were beyond awful. My dad called and told us all to call it quits for the day and go home. The roads hadn't been plowed, so I creeped up the road in the one set of tire tracks on the road. Thankfully I didn't meet another vehicle, so I was able to stay where I was. I picked Makayla up at her sitter's and we went directly home. I was never so happy to see my driveway! Once we got home, the freezing rain started. It rained for hours. I'm not sure when it stopped, but I do know that our power went out shortly after midnight and still isn't on now at 2:30PM. There is a power line on the ground just down the road from our house and no sign of any service trucks there to fix it. I'm not holding out much hope for having power after work. We may be bunking with my parents tonight.

Unfortunately, due to me picking up Makayla early, she missed the Valentine's Day party at the sitter's house. I don't think she was that upset since she's still quite young to understand. Instead, I gave her the Valentine's Day present that Clay and I had gotten for her. She got some Dora books, some chocolates and her favourite thing ever - two puzzles. Makayla would put puzzles together for hours. She can manage 24 piece puzzles on her own. I also got her a 48-piece Shrek puzzle, but I put it away for her birthday in June.

Makayla has been asked to be a flower girl in her uncle's wedding this summer. I got her a dress this week in a size 3 and there is some room to grow, but not too much. She was really excited to try it on, but she was just as anxious to get it off too. The bride asked me how I thought Makayla would make out as a flower girl. I had to be honest and say that I just didn't know as kids can be so unpredictable. I'm not in the wedding so I can focus on making sure Makayla can perform her role. She is going to be adorable.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Aww I cant wait to see her in her flower girl dress.

S said...

awww a flower girl - soo cute!

ick on the snow and the ice storm! We get an inch here and the city shuts down - we are such wimps! LOL

Michelle said...

you'll have to post pics in the dress. I bet she will be adorable!